1. DO I QUALIFY FOR A POWER MOBILITY DEVICE?
- Medicare does NOT pay for power chairs or scooters for community use
2. Does this mobility limitation interfere with your ability to perform at least one of the below?
- Are you willing and motivated to use a power chair in your home?
- Do you have the physical and mental ability to operate a power wheelchair safely?
- Are you physically UNABLE to use a cane, walker, or manual wheelchair in your home?
I THINK I MAY QUALIFY FOR A POWER WHEELCHAIR. WHAT DO I DO NEXT?
- Speak to a representative at King Drug & Homecare for a free prescreening
- Pick up a Power Mobility packet at one of our 5 locations or call us at 800-489-2609 to request one by mail
- Call your doctor and make an appointment to discuss your need for a Power Wheelchair.
- Take the “patient checklist” to your mobility exam to ensure you discuss your insurance requirements with your Doctor.
- Once you see your doctor, request he send your information and office notes to your local King Drug & Homecare office.
PATIENT CHECKLIST (For your power mobility exam)
- Take your mobility assist devices with you to the MD (cane, walker, and wheelchair)
- Describe how your health is affecting your ability to get around in your home safely.
- Describe your everyday activities and how they are limited by your lack of mobility
- Explain how you get around now and the devices that you are using to get to your kitchen, bathroom and bedroom
- Describe the difficulty you are having with your current devices and why they are no longer suitable
- Explain if you have ever tried a cane, walker with a seat, or wheel chair fitted specifically for you
- If you haven’t tried one of the above, discuss with your doctor whether this is an option for you.
- Discuss your caregiver situation. Do you live alone or are you left alone at times?
- Ask your doctor to physically evaluate you for a power chair. This involves taking measurements of your arm and leg strengths and range of motions
- He may want to refer you to a Physical or Occupational therapist for a one time evaluation
- Give him the information in your power mobility packet so that he can complete his portion of the exam
- Notify King Drug & Homecare once you have had your mobility exam so that we can follow up with your doctor